Monday, December 15, 2014

Some Choreographies of Holm




Kiss me Kate(1948)
Hayna Holm's Labanotation score for Kiss Me, Kate was the first choreography to be copyrighted in the United States

Composer and Lyricist: Cole Porter
Opening Night: Dec 30, 1948
Original Cast: Alfred Drake, Patricia Morison, Lisa Kirk, Harold Lang
Director: John C. Wilson
Choreographer: Hanya Holm

Here is a Link can buy tickets of theater musical if you are interested in this musical:


My fair lady (1956)
choreographed by Hanya Holm, with Julie Andrews, Stanley Holloway, and members of the original Broadway cast.

The musical's 1956 Broadway production was a momentous hit, setting what was then the record for the longest run of any major musical theatre production in history. It was followed by a hit London production, a popular film version and numerous revivals. It has been called "the perfect musical"

2 comments:

  1. this. tap. scene. is amazing. so fast. so intricate. so long.
    I know Holm was very involved with Broadway and theatre, but I had always assumed it was more jazzy choreography and never considered whether she could tap or not. Looking at the choreography from this scene I can probably safely assume she was an amazing tapper. LOVE IT.
    ---Angie Pan

    ReplyDelete
  2. l love the first video which is like a narrative dancing style. The dancers act a story in the scenario. But I also want to say that the story style dance is limited. Dancers should control their movement to express the content of story. It is a kind of limitation. Besides, I prefer more about Merce Cunningham who claimed that dance should show the spirit for itself not just for audience. I recommend you to read my blog~

    ReplyDelete