Monday, December 15, 2014

Paying Tribute to Hanya Holm


Here is a newspaper article in New York Times about playing tribute to Hanya Holm, modern-dance choreographer.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/05/arts/paying-tribute-to-hanya-holm-modern-dance-choreographer.html





Choreographer Murray Louis said Miss Holm's "strongest contribution was the logic she brought to the confused thinking of early modern dance" and "an analytical approach totally devoid of sentimentality" in her teaching. The choreographer Glen Tetley recalled that when he was an impoverished student, Miss Holm cooked meals for him.
From these choreographer's reminiscences and evaluation, we can make sure Hanya Holm was appreciated and followed by more recently choreographer. From the reminiscences from Glen Tetley, we can know Hanya Holm is very kind and nice as a teacher. She not only told them how to show in dance, also helped her students' life.


Many speakers pointed out that Miss Holm had remained perpetually inquisitive. John Hunger, a dance teacher from Minneapolis, said he often heard her declare, "Every morning I am a beginner."
Form the John Hunger's said Holm often said" Every morning I am a beginner", we can know Holm always maintain his curiosity and imagination in dance. Although she already has very outstanding achievement on modern dance and ballet musicals, she did not give up to find more interesting and creative style in dance. Her spirit need us to study and have more positive influence on our life. Hanya Holm not only give people the best modern dance performance, but also give us a positive spirit to never give up and maintain our curiosity in life.


3 comments:

  1. "Every morning I am a beginner"
    definitely putting this in my list of favorite quotes. So inspirational. It's setting your mind to being open to learning new things every day. It's humbling and adventurous. It challenges me to learn and develop every day throughout my day!
    --- Angie Pan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading the article you posted on Holm. I also really like the quote "Every morning I am a beginner". It's very inspirational for dancers and non-dancers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same to me "Every morning I am a beginner" is most impressive sentence to me. I found that every famous choreography has very positive energy for people, like Doris, Tudor and Hulm. I believe that what they are successful, not only have perfect skill also can give positive influence to people.

    ReplyDelete