Monday, December 15, 2014

Personal opinion of Hanya Holm


Why I chose Hanya Holm?




I choose Hanya Holm because I saw a very interesting comedy Broadway musical play called Kiss me, Kate was choreographed by her. In the golden age of American musicals, this musical play is one of the most screenings performed on Broadway musicals. Because of the love of musical play, I want to know more about the choreographer who can make the excellent and interesting musical play.




Hanya Holm in my eyes

From these Hanya Holm is a tiny woman came from Germany and open a modern dance school based on principles of German expressionist dance in great depression of United States, also become one of the most influential teachers of American modern dance. She is one of the best teachers and choreographers in modern dance and Labanotation exploration. She trained her students effectively liberate and use their body to show dance. Some of her well-known disciples include Alwin Nikolais, Glen Tetley, Valerie Bettis and Don Redlich.From her works, I find she break up the constraint programming of traditional dance, enrich the content of dance performance and highlight the dancer's inner experience and feelings. She won numerous awards for her modern dance and Broadway musical choreography (including My Fair LadyCamelot and Kiss Me Kate). 

Influence of Holm to me

After reading some articles and watching some videos about the genius dancer - Hanya Holm, she is a very outstanding woman who leave Germany in 1931. She break up the traditional ballet style in people's mind and open a modern dance school in a special great depression. As a teacher Holm emphasized the importance of both technical expertise and emotional expression. Then she also became a major force in American dance and the Broadway theater. Her experience make me know the creative are very important. We cannot yield of tradition, we should do all bravely, don't give up if we have some creation maybe different with tradition. In the specific period, Hanya Holm who is a tiny woman from Germany can achieve his thinking and become the one of the the Big Four founders of American morden dance. Why we need give up? 







3 comments:

  1. I like your introduction for Hanya Holm. I learnt a lot of information for Hanya Holm. But the most interesting thing that i care is Hanya Holm also broke the old dance style and brought new dance style to the world. It is the same as the person that i wrote blog who is called Merce Cunningham. From him i also think creativity is really important as you got from Holm. I think art is a purely free form. So we should accept any kind of art. Creativity is really significant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the video you posted for Hanya Holm. I also really like the information you gave. you really talked about Holm and how much she has done and what a great dancer she is. I also enjoyed reading what you wrote about why you chose her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some habit that love comedy, and holm is really good at that choreograph dancing show with interesting and executing plot. After reading your post, I am pretty interested with her

    ReplyDelete